Tuesday 13 May 2014

May all your dreams come true


Hello lovelies!
I live on the 3rd floor of an old building in one of the most beautiful and historical towns of Portugal. But I've dreamt of living in the country side for many years and that has been my main goal for more than two years now. I will cut the long story that leads to this caravan but I have to say that I chose to have a caravan as a cottage not only because it's nice to restore something old, but mainly because my money is very short. So my main objective was to occupy my own piece of land and have a roof and four walls, no matter of what material they could be made of, to shelter me. This would be my basis to start and this way I could decorate it gradually according to my rythm, budget and taste.
This old caravan was a real miracle since Î found it near my town and this way it was cheaper to transport it to my piece of land. We all can see that it's in bad conditions but this was not a problem for me, specially because it only costed 200€. I could see its potential and I was very happy to negotiate with such a nice ex-owner. The objective was simply to clean the field, clean the caravan and repair the worst problems with the less money possible.
The other two things that would turn this into an adventure in living the simplest of lives are that this field has no water or electricity! Not even this was a dissuasive factor. I may seem insane, but I'm not. I just know what I want and how to get there and will wait the necessary time to get there. Because I understand that the best part of this process is planning, dreaming and achieving a small goal at a time. Owning a caravan was a dream, but living there is a dream continually under construction! This is adorable.





Remember my first post? The photos showed a rotten entrance floor. But my farmer baker boy repaired it with planks that he had saved from previous works, screws and a hammer. Thankfully he had the needed tools - some electrical - to cut the planks and so on and for that he used a power generator.


See? Not that bad for an amateur cheap work. I covered it with adhesive paper similar to the rest of the floor and if I put a rug over it nobody will notice the difference, I assure you.





My main job was to clean meticulously all the interior of the caravan. I washed, scrubed and cleaned every corner. It was a lonely job the best part of the time, since my boy was outside fixing something or in the field and it was good to be all by myself in the inside. This way I could talk to God and be thankfull for this blessing.



We will keep these rusted old hooks. Aren't they simply wonderful?




This was our source of water until the begining of this month: a small brook. We carried it in buckets and used it mainly to wash and water the garden and kitchen garden we started to make. And as the days are shorter in the winter and it got darker soon, we had to light our gas lamp to give us the light we needed to work and to relax a little bit inside the caravan while we ate our snacks. Delicious!


This was a rainy winter. But it was on a sunny day when I was cleaning inside and my farmer baker boy was cutting the bushes outside that suddenly came to my mind something that I had read when I was a teenager and had forgotten until that day: a dream you dream alone is only a dream you dream alone but a dream you dream together is reality!
May all your dreams come true.


No comments :

Post a Comment